Monday 15 September 2008

BLACK FLAG - DAMAGED LP, PURPLE MARBLE


The seminal Rollins Flag record and one that has stood the test of time. I remember first buying this and thinking to myself that the "guy" on the front cover looked so tough, shaved head, cracked mirror, blood. Not one to try at home but then later on I found that the album cover, shot by punk photographer Ed Colver, that featured Rollins putting his fist through a mirror. The effect was made by cracking the mirror with a hammer, while the "blood" on Rollins' wrist is a mixture of red ink and coffee! What a let down hahaha. This variant of the Lp is one of the later SST reissues and is on a purple marble. Still kinda wish that SST had kept the full colour cover rather than use a black and white of the orignal but I guess their reasoning was to make it easier to differentiate between the two.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Seeing these pictures of the vinyl for Damaged makes me wish that I had picked up a copy when I was at the store today. I can't believe that I do not own this on vinyl. *hangs head in shame*

Anonymous said...

i think SST went with the B/W cover with red lettering for cost reasons. it's only a 2 colour job rather than full colour. anyways nice blog - it's making me drag out some records i haven't listened to in years!